The Baker County Planning Department is here to serve you with property services, technical assistance and information. The Planning Department is responsible for implementing Baker County's Comprehensive Land Use Plan and Zoning Ordinance as well as Oregon Revised Statutes and Administrative Rules when considering proposals to use or develop property.

The Baker County Planning Department oversees all unincorporated areas of Baker County not managed by the federal government. Incorporated cities administer different programs, so if you need contact information for any incorporated city, please follow this link to Oregon Blue Book.

We encourage anyone considering purchasing, dividing or developing property to call or stop in and discuss your plans and options with us. Our staff will be happy to assist you, and may be able to provide valuable information that could save you time and money in the future. We always strive to provide you with timely, accurate and professional responses.

Popular Links:

Baker County Comprehensive Plan
Residential zoned dwellings.
Shop, shed, or garage approvals.
Conditional Use Permits.
Property Line Adjustments.
Home Occupation (Home Based Business) Permits.
Floodplain Development Permits.

Please see Agendas for the full schedule of upcoming Planning Commission meetings.

Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail:


Online Meetings

Online Meetings


Applications & Fees

Please make checks payable to Baker County

Planning Forms
Application Type   Used for: You will also need:
Appeal   Appeal of a land use decision The decision being appealed, including date of the decision; A statement demonstrating the applicant has standing to appeal; A detailed statement of specific issues being appealed; A statement demonstrating specific issues were raised during the comment period, except when the appeal is filed by the applicant; and filing fee.
Conditional Use Permit   Conditional Uses A narrative addressing criteria, site plan, fee
Extension   Request additional time on an existing land use approval Fee
Flood Plain Development Permit   Development in a special hazard flood zone Fee, typically also requires an elevation certificate from certified engineer/surveyor
General Application     Site plan, fee
Home Occupation   For businesses inside primary residence Site plan, fee
Property Line Adjustment Application   Movement of a common property line between two Map showing property line to be adjusted, fee *Please note, applications need to be printed on 8.5 x 14 legal size paper.
RR-5/RR-2 Dwelling Permit   Dwellings in residential Site plan, see checklist on application
Road Inspection   Road inspection for private road or driveway Map showing location of drive, fee
Wireless Communication Zoning Clearance   Co-location or repair of existing wireless communication facility Specification sheets, site plan, fee. Please see our Cell Tower Help Sheet for More Details
Acknowledgement of Farm and Forest Practices     Needs to be notarized and filed with the County Clerk
Replacement Dwelling Affidavit     Needs to be notarized
Zoning Clearance Application      

*Please be advised all applications need to be signed by all owners listed on the Deed.

Planning Department Fees

Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail:


Public Notices

BCZO Chapter 760 Text Amendment


Ordinances, Fees and Maps


Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail:


Fequently Asked Questions

Q. What zone is my parcel in?
A. To determine the zoning of your parcel, please contact the Planning Department. The Assessor's page includes the zone with property information, but the zone designation may be for assessment purposes only, and may not reflect the correct zoning of the property.

Q. Is my parcel "buildable"?
A. There are many factors that help Planning Department staff determine the buildability of a parcel. Zoning, type of use requested and existing structures are only a few of the important factors considered when making the "buildability" determination. Other considerations are septic availability, road and driveway access, setbacks, floodplains, wetlands, and wildlife overlays. Determinations are made on a case-by-case basis, and often require a significant amount of research. Please contact the Baker County Planning Department for further information.

Q. What are the setback requirements for Baker County?
A. Setback requirements are found in the Baker County Zoning Ordinance, Section 360.

Q. When am I required to obtain a permit?
A. Property owners are required to obtain a permit for new construction and for alterations and additions to existing buildings, including structural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work - both agricultural and domestic. Property owners that wish to conduct a Home Occupation or other activities on their parcel may also need a permit from the County. If you are located within the city limits of an incorporated city, please contact your local city government for further information. If you are located outside of the city limits in the "county" or in an "unincorporated city", the Baker County Planning Department will be your contact agency for Zoning Clearance or a Conditional Use Permit to proceed with your project.

Q. Why do I have to have a permit for my own property?
A. Oregon law requires you to obtain permits - even if you are building on your own property - to ensure that minimum building standards are met for your own safety and for the safety of future property owners and/or occupants.

Q. My request has been approved, now what do I do?
A. If you have been issued a final report for your land use request, you will be required to complete the Conditions of Approval as listed in our final report prior to the Baker County Planning Department issuing Zoning Clearance. At the time you are ready to apply for a building permit, you will need to bring a site plan, Zoning Clearance Application and the required fee to the Baker County Planning Department. Planning staff will verify all required conditions have been met, and then can complete the form stating that you are cleared to apply for your building permit through the Baker City Building Department.

Q. What steps, in addition to a land use approval, are typically needed to build a dwelling?
A. Depending on your zone and type of approval, specific requirements will apply -see your Conditions of Approval. All dwellings in the County will need to complete the following:
Septic Approval
Road Approach Permit
Building Permit
Driveway/private road inspection and approval

Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail:


Helpful Links

Oregon Blue Book
Incorporated Cities: Baker City, Greenhorn, Haines, Halfway, Huntington, Richland, Sumpter, Unity
Unincorporated Cities: Hereford, Durkee, Oxbow, New Bridge, Granite and Others

Land Use Planning Information/State Regulation

An Introductory Guide to Land Use Planning for Small Cities and Counties in Oregon

Oregon Administrative Rules

Oregon Revised Statutes

Partner Agencies and Organizations

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality

Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development

Tools for Researching Your Property

Baker County Assessor Property Search (Please note all zoning information should be verified for accuracy with the Planning Department)

ORMAP - Online maps of individual parcels/tax lots within the state of Oregon.

FEMA Flood Map Service Center. Use your address to identify whether or not your property is in a special flood hazard zone. National Wetlands Mapper

National Wetlands Mapper

Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail:


Planning Commission

Alice Trindle - Chairman

Jim Grove

Suzan Ellis Jones

Thomas Van Diepen

Kasey Wright

Tim Kerns

Robert Crawford

Planning Staff

Holly Kerns - Planning Director
Tara Micka - Planner
Tim Smothers - Planner
Paul King - Planning Assistant

Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail:


Zoning Ordinances

Chapter 110 Introduction Provisions
Chapter 115 Decision-Making Procedures
Chapter 120 General Administrative Provisions
Chapter 125 Planning Director's Interpretation
Chapter 130 Zoning Administration
Chapter 140 Enforcement
Chapter 150 Definitions
Chapter 210 Conditional Uses
Chapter 220 Permit Expiration Dates and Extensions
Chapter 225 Home Occupations
Chapter 230 Planning Unit Developments
Chapter 235 Special Event Permits
Chapter 240 Variances
Chapter 245 Modifications
Chapter 250 Temporary Permits
Chapter 260 Map, Text and Plan Amendments
Chapter 270 Property Line Adjustments
Chapter 280 Partitions
Chapter 290 Subdivisions
Chapter 310 Site Design Review
Chapter 320 Transportation Standards
Chapter 330 Off-Street Parking and Loading
Chapter 340 Development Standards (Setback Requirements)
Chapter 410 Exclusive Farm Use Zone (EFU)
Chapter 420 Timber-Grazing Zone (TG)
Chapter 430 Primary Forest Zone (PF)
Chapter 440 Mineral Extraction Zone
Chapter 450 Surface Mining Zone
Chapter 510 Residential Zones
Chapter 520 Commercial Zones
Chapter 530 Industrial Zones
Chapter 540 Special Zoning Districts
Chapter 550 Zones for Unincorporated Communities
Chapter 610 Airport Overlay Zone (AOZ)
Chapter 620 Big Game Habitat Overlay Zone (BGHO)
Chapter 630 Floodplain Overlay Zone (FOZ)
Chapter 640 Sensitive Bird Habitat Consultation Overlay Zone (SBHCOZ)
Chapter 650 National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center Overlay Zone (NHOTICOZ)
Chapter 660 Wetlands Overlay Zone (WOZ)
Chapter 670 Limited Use Overlay Zone (LUOZ)
Chapter 680 Interchange Overlay Zone
Chapter 685 Mining Activity Buffer Overlay Zone (MABOZ)
Chapter 690 Mining Impact Mitigation Overlay Zone (MIMOZ)
Chapter 695 Tourist Commercial Limited Use Overlay Zone (TCLUOZ)
Chapter 710 Historic, Cultural, and Natural Resources Protection
Chapter 720 Non-Conforming Uses
Chapter 730 Signs
Chapter 740 Wireless Communication Facilities
Chapter 750 Wind Power Generation Facilities
Chapter 760 Solar Power Generation Facilities
Chapter 770 Dismantling and Financial Assurance Standards

Get Adobe Reader You will need Adobe Reader to access these documents.

Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail:

Baker County operates under an EEO policy and complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Assistance is available for individuals with disabilities by calling 541-523-8200 (TTY: 541-523-9538). Read our Liability Statement and Supported Browsers. Send questions or comments about this website to